FLP can assist you with personalized assistance at each stage of the condo conversion process as it relates to the governing statutes involved in that process. There is intersectionality between all three statutes and my team and I have experience working with each one.
In Washington, DC, the Rental Conversion and Sale Division (CASD) of the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) regulates and entitles condo conversions through an approval process. The conversion process was established by the following laws:
- THE CONVERSION ACT: The Rental Housing Conversion and Sale Act of 1980, amended (D.C. Law 3-86)
- Includes the Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA)
- Includes the TOPA Single-Family Home Exemption
- THE CONDOMINIUM ACT: The Condominium Act of 1976 Technical and Clarifying Amendment Act, as amended (D.C. Law 9-82)
- DOPA: The District Opportunity to Purchase Act